Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MORELS mmm

IMG_20130516_185023.jpg

lil plate i pulled out of my arse last night after morel hunting...

8 oz grilled chicken
    green peppers / morels cooked in pan with pam and garlic powder.

I don't know what a morel is and I can't find anything that's not chicken or green peppers on that plate.

Comment

This chaps my butt! I am an avid mushroom picker, and do so every fall for hours on end. I have yet to find a freaking morel! I know where to look, and I hear there are some here in the south, but no luck. I have found a few chanterelles, hen of the woods, and puffballs are everywhere. Puffballs are about my favorite just because I can pick enough to actually eat. Scrambled in eggs, whew! No thats some eating. Candy caps are amazing too,but I can go years without finding those things. Once I find one, I typically find several. I think those have years of hibernation, and a season of growing personally. Where do youfind your morels? I know thats a big secret, but what areas do you look for? Under hardwoods, burned ground, rotten vegetation?

Comment

Originally posted by warmouth View Post
        This chaps my butt! I am an avid mushroom picker, and do so every fall for hours on end. I have yet to find a freaking morel! I know where to look, and I hear there are some here in the south, but no luck. I have found a few chanterelles, hen of the woods, and puffballs are everywhere. Puffballs are about my favorite just because I can pick enough to actually eat. Scrambled in eggs, whew! No thats some eating. Candy caps are amazing too,but I can go years without finding those things. Once I find one, I typically find several. I think those have years of hibernation, and a season of growing personally. Where do youfind your morels? I know thats a big secret, but what areas do you look for? Under hardwoods, burned ground, rotten vegetation?
        Morels are typically hunted in the spring. I have hunted them too and they can be difficult to locate; however, this year seems to be ideal for hunting...lot's of rain with warmer temps. Now would be an ideal time to go out hunting. From what I've researched, old, dead elm and/or apple tree stands are an awesome place to find them. Keep me posted on your finds if you decided to go out and do some hunting. Good luck and good hunting!

Comment

Originally posted by OdinsOtherSon View Post
          Morels are typically hunted in the spring. I have hunted them too and they can be difficult to locate; however, this year seems to be ideal for hunting...lot's of rain with warmer temps. Now would be an ideal time to go out hunting. From what I've researched, old, dead elm and/or apple tree stands are an awesome place to find them. Keep me posted on your finds if you decided to go out and do some hunting. Good luck and good hunting!
          Thanks man. I know morels are springtime shrooms, and that is when I look. I was talking about fall being my best time for the common ones here. In the spring, we get a lot of amantas and agarics, none of which are worth the risk. I know they heve some delicious mushrooms, but they are also rhe family of the deadliest ones. Destroying amgels and death caps are all over here. I don't eat mushrooms even growing near those.

Comment

oaks man... look for down oak trees..... and yes elm too

ground temp has to be good for several days. right now it is still early here but i got a few about 3" tall

Originally posted by warmouth View Post

Comment

I got alot of oaks! It might be too hot here now, but Ill look tommorrow. Morning or evening the best time?

Comment

They are there all day.. I like to go in late evening.. If you have hills in the woods they like to grow on the sides something to do with sun only on half of the hill depending ontime of day. Ground temp is key too..

Lol one time i was actually in a morel competition. They drive loads of buses off at a private golf course n give you a time limit to be back lol pretty cool it was..

Comment

That would be amazing. I saw s show called cash and treasures and they were on there. They looked delicious deepfried!

Comment

Working...
                  X