The importance of probiotics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The importance of probiotics.

Just wanted to make a quick mention about this since it isn't really discussed very much, yet is of huge importance to anyone engaging in bodybuilding/bodybuilding lifestyle. Anyone doing this would be consuming diets very high in protein, and no doubt very high in caloric intake in general. I found that for myself, over time, especially as I got older, my digestive system was having a bit more trouble every year processing the amount of food I was eating. Not to mention I started feeling a bit more fatigued and sluggish during the day, and bowel movements were not what they used to be. You might find that while you're not constipated, you feel like you have to constantly have a bowel movement even though the stool might be soft, and after every bowel movement you feel like you need to void more but it just isn't coming out. There are also those of us whom adding in infinite amounts of fiber and greens just won't solve these problems. If you're having these issues/symptoms (or even if you aren't), it's definitely a good idea to start using probiotics.

For the longest time I honestly felt as though this probiotic craze was merely the latest fad and a gimmick (much like the 'detox' crap, which is definitely a snake oil gimmick/fad), but after grabbing the capsulized format and taking them just before meals, results improved big time almost immediately. Your gut and digestive juices require this assistance to properly digest and process the foods we eat, and this is especially the case if you're consuming a typical bodybuilder or bodybuilding lifestyle diet. We live in a day and age and environment where we sterilize everything around us, and as a result we don't ingest the proper microbes that help us with our digestion. Prior to a couple hundred years ago, people didn't care (or know) about sterilization, and were generally 'dirty' eaters, but the benefit that came with this was the consumption of these microbes (yes, both good and bad ones) that helped us. Without this bacterial assistance, inadequately digested food remains in the GI tract and can cause more bloating, gas, and the feeling like you have to have a bowel movement even though nothing is coming out (and like I said, this is NOT constipation). If you have actual constipation issues as well, this will also undoubtedly help with that.

I don't have extensive knowledge of the different probiotics out there and how to optimally use them, but this post is just a shout-out to stress the importance of their use with the type of diets we all engage in. If you can pick up a solid and trusted brand of probiotics and acidophilus, it should be good enough. Just take the recommended serving of capsules either prior to, during, or after meals and it will be a big help. I try to avoid the probiotic drinks and yogurts, and instead opt for the capsulized stuff because I don't want those extra calories, but to each their own.
    Chief writer for Steroidal.com
    Formerly known as Atomini
    Steroidal.com: the world's largest informational resource on anabolic steroids and all things performance enhancing drug related!
    "Strongest minds are often those whom the noisy world hears least" - William Wordsworth

This is a great subject for an article in our Supplements section of the main site!

Comment

Of course! Should definitely do an article on this for the nutrition/supplements section. I will have to do some more in-depth research on probiotics, which ones to take, how they benefit the body, and how to properly use and time them. They are of extreme importance to this type of lifestyle where nutrition and constant food supply to the body is a must.
      Steroidal.com: the world's largest informational resource on anabolic steroids and all things performance enhancing drug related!
      "Strongest minds are often those whom the noisy world hears least" - William Wordsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Dan C View Post
        Of course! Should definitely do an article on this for the nutrition/supplements section. I will have to do some more in-depth research on probiotics, which ones to take, how they benefit the body, and how to properly use and time them. They are of extreme importance to this type of lifestyle where nutrition and constant food supply to the body is a must.
        Sound good to me.

Another one is digestive enzymes.

Comment

I've been drinking a glass of buttermilk at night to aid in this area. Not many people are able to "stomach" drinking it but I've learned to. I make my own by taking a small amount of store purchased buttermilk and adding it to a half gallon of 2% milk. Store bought buttermilk as quite a few additives in it. By adding a small amount of it to regular milk, sitting it out on the counter for 24-48 hours until it ferments, you can eliminate the additives to store bought buttermilk. I'm also making homemade fermented dill pickles which are a great source of probiotic.

Comment

Hmm buttermilk... what about the caloric content of a glass of that?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan C View Post
              Hmm buttermilk... what about the caloric content of a glass of that?
              Buttermilk is a misnomer when used in its modern context. The old fashion buttermilk of 100 years ago was calorie laden as it contained actual flecks of butter. Today's buttermilk can be purchased fat free. As for the sugar content, Lactobacillus bacteria convert the lactose into lactic acid, giving buttermilk its "zing." Lactobacillus also serve as the probiotic. I used 2% or skim milk to make my buttermilk.

Comment

Working...
              X