• Big 3

1RM

dead 200 kg (440 lbs)

squat 160 kg (352 lbs)

bench 120 kg (264 lbs) (i think..)

what's yours?

Don't know. I don't do them :P

Comment

I dont do them anymore either... Have to work around existing injury's. For chest i start with the hammer strength machine 4 plates loaded on each side 5 working sets of 12-20 reps then free weight flys 60 lb dumbbells 5 working sets of 12 reps and i finish off with incline free motion cable flys 5 working set of whatever weight i can move. Each training day is something similar meaning that i am working around injury avoiding compressing my spine. It seems top be working... Not bad for a little guy

Comment

I wish I could post huge numbers, nut I'm with Jim, my back don't handle heavy weights with deads or squats. I do light weight squats and sometimes light deads, but seldom go over 225. Most times I'm under 160 when I even do them.
        As far as bench, I will do 1 set of 5 once a month to assess progress. I never use barbells anymore for bench. DBs baby!
        Last edited by warmouth; 04-27-2013, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by warmouth View Post
          I wish I could post huge numbers, nut I'm with Jim, my back don't handle heavy weights with deads or squats. I do light weight squats and sometimes light deads, but seldom go over 225. Most times I'm under 160 when I even do them.
          As far as bench, I will do 1 set of 5 once a month to assess progress. I never use barbells anymore for bench. DBs baby!
          Got to take care of the back bro. No muscle is worth being crippled!!

Comment

I don't max but these are what I worked out with this week

Deads: 225 x 15, 315 x 12, 405 x 8, 425 x 6

Squats: 225 x 15, 315 x 10, 405 x 6, 405 x 6, 405 x 4

Bench: 225 x 10, (315 x 8)3, 365 x 4

Comment

I can't squat for shit. Like no flexibility in my shoulders so I end up forcing the bar onto my neck... It's a injury waiting to happen so I don't squat. Started stretching at home. Gunna get as flexible as I can so I can finally start squatting.

Comment

Originally posted by TroN View Post
                I don't max but these are what I worked out with this week

Deads: 225 x 15, 315 x 12, 405 x 8, 425 x 6

Squats: 225 x 15, 315 x 10, 405 x 6, 405 x 6, 405 x 4

Bench: 225 x 10, (315 x 8)3, 365 x 4
                Impressive

Comment

Originally posted by Jim230027 View Post
                  Impressive
                  Wish the squat numbers were higher, but they've gotten better by leaps and bounds. I used to have a tendency to miss leg day lol

Comment

Originally posted by TroN View Post
                    Wish the squat numbers were higher, but they've gotten better by leaps and bounds. I used to have a tendency to miss leg day lol
                    I hate doing legs! Like mowing the yard.... Have to do it though

Comment

365 B
                      445DL
                      405 S

At 181lbs raw ( DL n S are belted)

PS I'm an ATG squatter. With slight stall at bottom..honestly I can hit more this way..( everyone has their preferences and I don't judge , this is just the way I was taught..
                      Last edited by LARGERTHANNORMAL; 04-28-2013, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim230027 View Post
                        I hate doing legs! Like mowing the yard.... Have to do it though
                        I used to be like that SO bad... But I got my mind out of 'liking' one workout over another. If you don't like them all and go into the gym equally as enthused then I find I'm not mentally prepared for it and fail.

Comment

Originally posted by magnus
                          I'm not a kid any more but I think I still push some decent weight. Don't do 1RM but below is current max weight I use when working out.

Deads 405x4
                          Squats 315x10
                          Bench 315x6
                          That's great magnus! I hope to get there soon. My deadlift days are over for the most part, and squats are light. I have back issues. But I'm slowly increasing weights and doing deads starting at mid-calf.

Comment

Originally posted by magnus
                            Thanks. I would like to squat heavier but I'll be 50 in a couple months and my knees are not in best shape.
                            I hear you buddy. I'm 30 and have arthritis in my lower back(as well as degenerative disc disease), arthritis in my knees, elbows, shoulders, and my hands are the worst. My right thumb hurts so bad some days that I literally cry just wanting the pain to stop. I know lifting probably isn't the best thing for me to do, but I feel it really helps me deal with it.

Comment

BUMP!

IMO this "big 3" are the best cost/effective excercises for sure. Lot of weight, lot of muscles involved, lot of fibers being activated/recluted then finally lot of gains. I know a BB cant live from this 3 only but for bulking I think its the better base u can pick and then add some auxiliaries to burn where u want.

Comment

Working...
                              X