Ashwagandha: What is it???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashwagandha: What is it???

Surprisingly there is little info out there regarding this product, or at least little info beyond what is generally ascribed to most new wonder supplements. But when my Dr. suggested that I consider adding this to my daily regimen I thought that there may be something to it.

What is it? Like most supplements it is an herb, Withania Somnifera to be exact. It is one of those “ancient herbs used by indigenous peoples,” blah, blah, blah. And yes, it is touted to treat a wide variety of ailments but I want to focus on what science there is to back up some of its claims. I was recommended this product for one primary reason…stress management. Some studies have shown Ashwagandha to be an excellent cortisol reducer, mood enhancer, possess anti-inflammatory properties, as well as exerting a positive effect on the cardiopulmonary system, endocrine and nervous system. Also, studies have shown Ashwagandha to exert a positive effect on thyroid function by increasing serum T3 and T4 concentrations as well as reduction in hepatic lipid peroxidation. And like all good herbal supplements, it supposedly boosts libido as well and honestly, I think that in conjunction with Vitamin D it is a really good combo for this. The one “toxicity” issue was in relation to pregnant women. Ashwagandha demonstrated the potential to cause miscarriage in pregnant women. Suggested dosages range from 1-6 grams per day.

So, my thoughts on ashwagandha? I think it is helping to regulate mood. I seem less on edge. I feel confident in making this claim as the change was relatively slow and subtle. It was just kind of an “ah ha” moment one day. I will be upping my dose to 2 grams from 1 gram in hopes of seeing even more positive effect. Like most things, I believe it to work synergistically with other supplements I’m taking such as Vitamin D, Vitamin C, B Vitamins, CoQ10 and Red Yeast Rice. When it comes to supplements, there is no single solution. All things work together and in concert for optimal effect. The trick…finding which combo works best for you.

Ref:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10956379
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9811169
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10720789

Check out post # 2 by Admin...

http://forums.steroidal.com/pct-foru...-examples.html

Comment

Bump

Comment

J Ethnopharmacol. 1994 Dec;44(3):131-5.
        A comparative pharmacological investigation of Ashwagandha and Ginseng.

Grandhi A, Mujumdar AM, Patwardhan B.
        Source

Indian Drugs Research Association, Pune.

Abstract

The aqueous suspensions of roots of an Indian drug Ashwagandha and the Korean drug Ginseng were tested comparatively for 2 pharmacological activities, namely the anti-stress activity by the 'mice swimming endurance test' and anabolic activity by noting gain in body weights and levator ani muscle in rats. A significant increase in mice swimming time was shown by Ginseng (P < 0.001) and Ashwagandha (P < 0.01) as compared to the control group. Significant increase in body weights in the Ashwagandha treated group (P < 0.05) was better than Ginseng (P < 0.5). Gain in wet weights of the levator ani muscle were also significant in Ginseng (P < 0.001) and Ashwagandha (P < 0.01) treated groups, however, the weight gain of dried levator ani muscles showed comparable results for both these drugs (P < 0.01).

PMID: 7898119 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Comment

Fertil Steril. 2010 Aug;94(3):989-96. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2009.04.046. Epub 2009 Jun 6.
          Withania somnifera improves semen quality by regulating reproductive hormone levels and oxidative stress in seminal plasma of infertile males.

Ahmad MK, Mahdi AA, Shukla KK, Islam N, Rajender S, Madhukar D, Shankhwar SN, Ahmad S.
          Source

Department of Biochemistry, Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University, and Department of Pharmacology, State Government T. T. Hospital, Lucknow, India.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

To investigate the impact of Withania somnifera roots on semen profile, oxidative biomarkers, and reproductive hormone levels of infertile men.
          DESIGN:

Prospective study.
          SETTING:

Departments of Biochemistry and Urology, Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University, Lucknow, India.
          PATIENT(S):

Seventy-five normal healthy fertile men (control subjects) and 75 men undergoing infertility screening.
          INTERVENTION(S):

High-performance liquid chromatography assay procedure for quantization of vitamin A and E in seminal plasma. Biochemical parameters in seminal plasma were estimated by standard spectrophotometric procedures. Estimation of T, LH, FSH, and PRL in blood serum by RIA methods.
          MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES(S):

Before and after the treatment, seminal plasma biochemical parameters, antioxidant vitamins, and serum T, LH, FSH, and PRL levels were measured.
          RESULT(S):

Withania somnifera inhibited lipid peroxidation and protein carbonyl content and improved sperm count and motility. Treatment of infertile men recovered the seminal plasma levels of antioxidant enzymes and vitamins A, C, and E and corrected fructose. Moreover, treatment also significantly increased serum T and LH and reduced the levels of FSH and PRL.
          CONCLUSION(S):

The treatment with W. somnifera effectively reduced oxidative stress, as assessed by decreased levels of various oxidants and improved level of diverse antioxidants. Moreover, the levels of T, LH, FSH and PRL, good indicators of semen quality, were also reversed in infertile subjects after treatment with the herbal preparation.
          Copyright (c) 2010 American Society for Reproductive Medicine. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

PMID: 19501822 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Comment

Working...
          X