Getting enough protein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting enough protein

So if you're anything like me, I find myself struggling to get in enough protein during the course of the day. A lot of people resort to using different supplements to help with this and I don't have a problem with that as long as we're smart in the types of supps we use. I'm not down for the pre-made supps, protein bars, weight gainers, etc, etc. I use straight up whey protein. But even with that I find it difficult to get in enough protein. Working all day, school at night, life in between....just doesn't leave much time for cooking chicken and beef.

Now, most of you guys here are probably already doing this and are going to think, "where the hell has this guy been?" but I'm a little slow I guess. In place of water or even milk I've started using liquid eggs whites as the liquid portion of my post work out shake. A quart carton (pretty sure that's the right size) has 100g of protein per container. I've started taking 2 shakes (really smoothies) per day and using a carton of egg whites plus a 20g scoop of whey which ends up 140g of protein. That leaves me with another 60 grams to eat. The whites are pasteurized and therefore cooked. Cooking raises the bio-availability of the whites dramatically. I also incorporate berries (I buy them frozen) such as a mixed bag of strawberries/raspberries/blueberries or like I'm doing now, straight blueberries, a banana, flax seed, and occasionally some honey. This has really helped me to get in enough protein through the day AND the vast majority of it is coming from a food source (egg) instead of actual supplements. For me the addition of the whey is just as a texture enhancer. The egg whites have zero flavor in the "smoothie" and the froze fruit gives the drink a desert feel. Anyway, just wanted to share my new found technique of getting in enough protein as opposed to letting that requirement fall through the cracks like I so often did.
    Last edited by OdinsOtherSon; 11-25-2013, 11:52 PM.

So you're only eating 200gr of protein a day? On a good day? I eat over 400. Make your own meals. It's not hard to eat during the day when everything is already made and you just have to warm up a Tupperware container

Comment

Every few weeks I spend a few hours and cook dozens of pounds of meat. Prep it and throw it in the oven, then separate and bag it once it's done. Easy 150g protein from meat for each day right there. I have about 3 weeks of cooked chicken/beef frozen in my deep freezer right now. Take a few packs out at once, and throw them in some tupperware with some veggies and carbs and there's a few meals for the day. I have whey/oats for other meals, and eggs for another. Training days I get 4 scoops of whey which is 100g or so, 150g from meat, 50g from eggs and fat sources, and say 20-30g from my carbs. I work 12 hour shifts, and live an hour from work and a half hour from the gym, so I had to come up with something that works.

Comment

Same here. I'm getting between 350-400g of protein daily. I cook a bunch of chicken every weekend, usually on the grill but occasionally baked/broiled. That lasts until the next cookout. I drink a few shakes (whey) mixed with milk. The milk adds 11g/8oz so a 25g scoop becomes 36g.p./8oz. I make them 12oz/2 scoops so 66g each. X 2. 132g in shakes, I only have to eat 250ish to hit my goal.

Using pasteurized whites is a great idea and probably contains more protein per oz with a better amino acid spectrum but I couldn't afford that. 1qt is 32oz, roughly 3 shakes @12oz each. 5q whites per week vs. 5qt milk. I go through 2 or 3 gallons of milk in a week though.

1 gallon of liquid egg is $38 on amazon. Milk is $2.99/gal.

How much do you pay per qt of the stuff OOS?

Comment

For me, due to lifestyle and time constraints, its difficult to cook up 10lbs of meat at one whack for the week. Been there, done all that. 400g of protein per day, man that's a ton of protein. Are you guys calculating that on total body weight? If so, you're all getting WAY more protein than you need. Let's be honest, we're all carrying some portion of fat. Calculating your protein requirements based on anything other than LEAN body mass is a waste of protein, time and money. The fat portion of your body composition doesn't require protein. So if you are only taking one gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, you should be weighing ~ 400 lbs and be sub 10%, preferably sub 5% bodyfat to optimally utilize that much protein per day. If you weight 200 lbs and are getting 2 grams of protein per lb of body weight, you should definitely be sub 5% bodyfat for that kind of intake. My $0.02

TJM, I'm paying ~ $4.30 per quart.

Comment

On GHRP-6 I think I could consume a ridiculous amount of quality food.

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
              On GHRP-6 I think I could consume a ridiculous amount of quality food.
              Very true Admin!

Comment

Ooo, I'm trying to hit 250lbs. I am eating 2gr per lb of body weight. Get at least 8oz of chicken/beef in every meal. If not I'm having a whey shake.

Comment

OOS, I am 230lbs. 200 of that is lean. In my experience I have to start eating for a muscular man of 250lbs before I weigh that much in order to make it happen. Protein deficit hinders optimum growth factors. Protein surplus, while not harmful, is a waste if its more than you can use. I don't subscribe to the books written by skinny professors as gospel. I've experimented over 25 years with training, diet, nutrients, supplements and combine that real experience results with scholarly knowledge. That has brought me from 135lbs at 6ft even to my.current 231 at 6ft. I trust my methods for my body and physiology. 2g/lb per day is my.sweet.spot. If you want to foster growth, you must base that number on your goal weight rather than current weight. I'm not trying to stay 231.

Comment

Originally posted by OdinsOtherSon View Post
                    For me, due to lifestyle and time constraints, its difficult to cook up 10lbs of meat at one whack for the week. Been there, done all that. 400g of protein per day, man that's a ton of protein. Are you guys calculating that on total body weight? If so, you're all getting WAY more protein than you need. Let's be honest, we're all carrying some portion of fat. Calculating your protein requirements based on anything other than LEAN body mass is a waste of protein, time and money. The fat portion of your body composition doesn't require protein. So if you are only taking one gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, you should be weighing ~ 400 lbs and be sub 10%, preferably sub 5% bodyfat to optimally utilize that much protein per day. If you weight 200 lbs and are getting 2 grams of protein per lb of body weight, you should definitely be sub 5% bodyfat for that kind of intake. My $0.02

TJM, I'm paying ~ $4.30 per quart.
                    Good price.

1g/lb is the RDA for bottom line maintenance/survival. Training athletes can't use those numbers. Also, ergogenic aids increase protein synthesis, utilization, nutrient efficiency, metabolic rate, etc. etc. therefore superman requires supernatural supplement levels. increase the rate of the construction, need to increase the raw materials.

Comment

Rawr protein.

Comment

Originally posted by TJM View Post
                        OOS, I am 230lbs. 200 of that is lean. In my experience I have to start eating for a muscular man of 250lbs before I weigh that much in order to make it happen. Protein deficit hinders optimum growth factors. Protein surplus, while not harmful, is a waste if its more than you can use. I don't subscribe to the books written by skinny professors as gospel. I've experimented over 25 years with training, diet, nutrients, supplements and combine that real experience results with scholarly knowledge. That has brought me from 135lbs at 6ft even to my.current 231 at 6ft. I trust my methods for my body and physiology. 2g/lb per day is my.sweet.spot. If you want to foster growth, you must base that number on your goal weight rather than current weight. I'm not trying to stay 231.
                        That is the key. We're all individuals and what works for you may not work for me. I don't know how old you guys are but as a 40yr old, I can tell you that for ME, I simply cannot eat the same amount of kcals or macros as I used to without pretty bad fat gain. I don't care how much I work out, my caloric intake needs/requirements simply are not the same as it used to be. That is my method.

As a side note, I should have clarified that I am NOT on AAS as of now. That said, if I were, then absolutely I would be putting down 2g per day at least.
                        Last edited by OdinsOtherSon; 12-06-2013, 03:51 AM.

Comment

I'm 43. True, I do adjust depending on my current goals ie cutting vs bulking, high rep volume training vs ultra low HIT or HD training. As I'm sure we all.do. I never go below 2g lb though with protein. I adjust carbs and fats, but not protein.

I don't see difference in my own metabolism nor fat retention. Yet! I could just be lucky or it might happen when I turn 50 idk. Fingers crossed

Comment

Don't sweat it, needing high levels of protein to build/retain muscle is a myth. Read this -

It's all about calories.

Comment

This is ridiculous, & you're a troll.

The idiot that put this together is too stupid to understand that when you up your caloric intake, you inherently increase your protein intake as well....unless you're eating nothing but fvcking gummy bears & water.
                              ."The only easy day was yesterday"

"I am immortal......I have within me blood of kings.........I am unrivaled.....no man can be my equal"

Comment

Working...
                              X