Favorite insulin!??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite insulin!??

My favorite is apidra. It just hits so much faster and harder than the others. Novolog falls second and humalog third. For me, even IM humalog wouldn't peak until around 2hrs. Where as apidra would hit me right at 60min

Originally posted by OnTheSauce View Post
    My favorite is apidra. It just hits so much faster and harder than the others. Novolog falls second and humalog third. For me, even IM humalog wouldn't peak until around 2hrs. Where as apidra would hit me right at 60min
    What are the gains in lean body mass like on Slin?

Comment

I like Apidra too, and novolog pretty much the same. Humalog is what I'm using now since that's what my insurance company wanted to cover. I do most of my insulin IM an typically feel the peak after about an hour and a half or two hours. Got low during my workout last night, I guess I wasn't drinking my gatorade quickly enough. Had to sit down and sip it and wait for the carbs to hit the bloodstream.

Originally posted by Admin View Post
      What are the gains in lean body mass like on Slin?
      Slin can really help pile on the weight, but on it's own it's equally anabolic for both muscle and fat tissue. It pairs well with GH because GH will help with keeping lean, while insulin will basically stop any and all tissue breakdown.

With the right diet and other drugs in your protocol, insulin can be very helpful. I wouldn't be surprised if one could gain ten or more pounds per month in the first few months of insulin use.

Comment

I gained 6lbs my first month but it's been much slower since. I have stayed lean. If you want to stay lean, you have to eat the right foods and the right amounts during your window

Comment

Humulin-R is by far my favorite. Longer active life so I'm anabolic that much longer. Humalog just spiked too high and wasn't in there long enough to do much good, in my opinion. Gained more on humulin-r in 2 months than I did in 4-5 with humalog.

Comment

Sounds like you weren't eating enough during the active window

Comment

Originally posted by Bull View Post
              Humulin-R is by far my favorite. Longer active life so I'm anabolic that much longer. Humalog just spiked too high and wasn't in there long enough to do much good, in my opinion. Gained more on humulin-r in 2 months than I did in 4-5 with humalog.
              The biggest advantage of Humalin-R is that you can purchase it without a prescription, just the way all these drugs should be.

The R types of insulin take about 8 hours to clear all the way and about 2 hours before they peak. The peak activity window stays open longer too, almost 3 hours. There are definitely some advantages to that, you can take a fat shot 30 mins or so pre-workout and then lift and drink carbs and then it'll likely still be going when you're hitting the post-workout meal.

I think the drawback is that the bigger that window of insulin activity is that the more fats you'll eat during this time, and the longer you'll be in an anabolic state for your fat cells as well (insulin preventing the breakdown of fats). Although depending on what else you're on, it may not be a huge concern.

Comment

And the fact your body won't be producing its own insulin. I'll stay shutdown as little as possible.

Comment

Sounds like you weren't eating enough during the active window
                  I was eating plenty. You can only digest and use so much at a time.

Originally posted by jasona View Post
                  The biggest advantage of Humalin-R is that you can purchase it without a prescription, just the way all these drugs should be.

The R types of insulin take about 8 hours to clear all the way and about 2 hours before they peak. The peak activity window stays open longer too, almost 3 hours. There are definitely some advantages to that, you can take a fat shot 30 mins or so pre-workout and then lift and drink carbs and then it'll likely still be going when you're hitting the post-workout meal.

I think the drawback is that the bigger that window of insulin activity is that the more fats you'll eat during this time, and the longer you'll be in an anabolic state for your fat cells as well (insulin preventing the breakdown of fats). Although depending on what else you're on, it may not be a huge concern.
                  I'll take a little extra fat gain for more size gains. Daily cardio helps with that.

Comment

I was eating plenty. You can only digest and use so much at a time.
                    To that end, having a longer-acting insulin extends that window a bit by having a longer peak and longer duration of use.

What's your insulin protocol like with humalin-R/novolin-R? When were you injecting, how many units, and what would you eat to counterbalance the glucose-lowering effects of the humalin R?

Further, how did your insulin protocol differ between using humalin-R and humalog? Were there any other variables that might have affected your success with an R-type insulin?

This could really turn into an educational discussion for all of us!

Comment

You aren't gaining weight = you aren't eating enough

Comment

You aren't gaining weight = you aren't eating enough
                        Let me add "from the humalog".

To that end, having a longer-acting insulin extends that window a bit by having a longer peak and longer duration of use.

What's your insulin protocol like with humalin-R/novolin-R? When were you injecting, how many units, and what would you eat to counterbalance the glucose-lowering effects of the humalin R?

Further, how did your insulin protocol differ between using humalin-R and humalog? Were there any other variables that might have affected your success with an R-type insulin?

This could really turn into an educational discussion for all of us!
                        I'm very experienced with both of these types of insulin. Humalog just did little for me in comparison to Humulin-R.

When I was using humalog, the highest I was up to was 14 iu pre workout. 10 minutes before my workout I had my shot, along with 4g/iu sugar, bcaas, creatine, and glutamine. Sugar source was usually dextrose. Intra workout, was 8g/iu dextrose, bcaas, creatine, and glutamine. Post workout was the same except a lot less dextrose, and whey added. Low fat, high carb meals pre and post workout, as always.

Currently with humulin-r, at 13 iu 85 minutes before training. Meal consisting of: 96g carbs (14 simple), 40g protein, 5g fat and a banana which I don't weigh/count. 15 minutes pre workout, shake with 35g dextrose, bcaas, creatine, glutamine. Intra, same shake. Post, same with a little less sugar and whey added. Meal as soon as I get home with 90g carbs.

Far better results with humulin-r. Humalog was just a stepping stone to get to the real thing, humulin-r. Considering an even longer acting slin, but my days are just too short for that right now.

Comment

Let me add "from the humalog".

I'm very experienced with both of these types of insulin. Humalog just did little for me in comparison to Humulin-R.

When I was using humalog, the highest I was up to was 14 iu pre workout. 10 minutes before my workout I had my shot, along with 4g/iu sugar, bcaas, creatine, and glutamine. Sugar source was usually dextrose. Intra workout, was 8g/iu dextrose, bcaas, creatine, and glutamine. Post workout was the same except a lot less dextrose, and whey added. Low fat, high carb meals pre and post workout, as always.

Currently with humulin-r, at 13 iu 85 minutes before training. Meal consisting of: 96g carbs (14 simple), 40g protein, 5g fat and a banana which I don't weigh/count. 15 minutes pre workout, shake with 35g dextrose, bcaas, creatine, glutamine. Intra, same shake. Post, same with a little less sugar and whey added. Meal as soon as I get home with 90g carbs.

Far better results with humulin-r. Humalog was just a stepping stone to get to the real thing, humulin-r. Considering an even longer acting slin, but my days are just too short for that right now.
                          Thanks for that detailed response man.

For the sake of conversation, when you say a longer acting slin than humalin-r, are you thinking an NPH insulin? Those last at least 12 hours and peak much further in. I'm using an NPH now in the morning and before bed, and it'll peak while I'm sleeping around 4-5 am. I've awoken a few times with the distinctive hypoglycemic feeling and had to drink some carbs.

Best mix of slins I've ever had was Levemir + Novolin NPH + Novolin R + Humalog. That was such an awesome combo because no matter what the scenario, I had the slin for it. My blood sugars were fuking dope.

Comment

Thanks for that detailed response man.

For the sake of conversation, when you say a longer acting slin than humalin-r, are you thinking an NPH insulin? Those last at least 12 hours and peak much further in. I'm using an NPH now in the morning and before bed, and it'll peak while I'm sleeping around 4-5 am. I've awoken a few times with the distinctive hypoglycemic feeling and had to drink some carbs.

Best mix of slins I've ever had was Levemir + Novolin NPH + Novolin R + Humalog. That was such an awesome combo because no matter what the scenario, I had the slin for it. My blood sugars were fuking dope.
                            Yessir I was thinking NPH.
                            I've never even heard of Novolin or Levemir. I suppose we may have different brands up here in Canada though. Did you notice any insulin resistance using all those? I eat the majority of my carbs in the am, and around when I train, giving me a few meals in the PM that are carb free to help with the sensitivity.

Comment

Yessir I was thinking NPH.
                              I've never even heard of Novolin or Levemir. I suppose we may have different brands up here in Canada though. Did you notice any insulin resistance using all those? I eat the majority of my carbs in the am, and around when I train, giving me a few meals in the PM that are carb free to help with the sensitivity.
                              I am a type 1 diabetic, so I have to use insulin anyway. So nah, even with all that shit, no insulin resistance noticed.

Comment

Working...
                              X